Encountering a clogged or slow drain is inevitable in busy households. Sinks, showers, and toilets get more use than we realize, and virtually everything finds its way into the pipes underneath. You can, however, avoid calling the best plumbers near me and clean out most drain clogs with a bit of DIY know-how. Plymouth Plumbing and Heating, your local plumbers in Sheboygan, offer these tips to avoid common drain cleaning mistakes.
Know the Composition of Most Drain Clogs
Clogged drains are part and parcel of indoor plumbing and even the most careful homeowners will encounter one at some point. Knowing what creates the most common drain clogs is the first step in effectively cleaning your drains for continued use. While almost anything can find its way into a household drain (especially if small children are present), the most common substances that cause drain clogs include:
- Hair combined with soap scum
- Dental floss
- Food scraps or refuse
- Diaper wipes
- Feminine hygiene products
Before calling a plumber in Plymouth, try the following solution for organic clogs:
Baking soda is a natural chemical compound that has disinfectant properties and can dissolve organic material and some mineral deposits. Try mixing one cup of baking soda and one cup of vinegar and pouring it into a clogged drain. Allow this mixture to sit for several minutes, then follow with a pot of boiling water. You can repeat this process several times without fear of damaging your drain or pipes.
Avoid These Drain Cleaning Mistakes
As long-time, trusted plumbers in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, we’ve seen a few things. In the interest of saving money, too many homeowners resort to harmful and even dangerous acts to clean clogged drains. The best plumbers near me in Plymouth recommend avoiding these practices at all costs.
- Using Harmful Chemicals — many off-the-shelf chemical drain clog products are actually harmful to your plumbing. Additionally, many are toxic and the fumes or physical contact can injure you, such as if they get splashed into your eyes or mouth.
- Sticking Objects Down the Drain — likely the worst act in DIY drain-cleaning practice is sticking some object (usually something sharp) into the drain in an effort to force out the clog. In addition to denting or poking a hole in your pipe, you will likely push the clog further into the pipe or break off the object in the pipe, further complicating your clogged drain.
- Using the Garden Hose — this idea stems from the practice of hydro jetting sewer pipes to remove roots and other blockages. The best plumbers near me routinely use this tactic, but not indoors. A garden hose is not suitable for this purpose, and neither is your indoor plumbing. Too much water pressure can blow out the pipes, causing you serious damage and repair costs.
- Drain Snaking — the infamous drain snake is a handy tool in the hands of your skilled plumbers in Sheboygan, but unskilled DIY use can often cause damage to your pipes. You can also damage the snake, which can cost you even more money if you rented it.
- Incorrect Plunging — the time-tested plunger is likely the first thing you reach for when cleaning clogged drains, but you must use it correctly. Otherwise, you can wear yourself out for nothing. Different plungers exist for specific drains. Sink plungers will have a bell-shaped bottom. Toilet plungers will have a flat bottom. Any plunger must completely seal off the drain to be effective. Take your time and use slow, firm up-and-down motions while keeping the seal over the drain.
- Avoiding Your Trusted Plumbers in Plymouth — perhaps the most frequent mistake homeowners make is to avoid calling plumbers in Plymouth then a clog persists.
Your Trusted Plumbers in Plymouth
Plymouth Plumbing & Heating has served Plymouth, Sheboygan and surrounding communities for over seven decades. You know we couldn’t have remained in business that long without doing something right. Clients return to us again and again for drain cleaning, repairs, and more.
- Rated 94% customer satisfaction in an independent survey
- The largest ratio of master plumbers in the county
- Completely licensed and insured
- On-call plumbers (including nights & weekends)
Don’t waste your time or cause serious damage to your home plumbing trying to clean stubborn clogged drains. Contact us today for quick, clean and reliable clog removal, repairs and other plumbing services.